What is self-care ?
"a multidimensional, multifaceted process of purposeful engagement in strategies that promote healthy functioning and enhance well-being." 
"Self-care means taking care of yourself so that you can be healthy, you can be well, you can do your job, you can help and care for others, and you can do all the things you need to and want to accomplish in a day." 
There is no one size fits all model for everyone. People's backgrounds such as culture, spiritual beliefs, life experiences, etc influence how self-care is practices. It could also be proactive or reactive. There is no right or wrong way of doing this.
Self-Care in the Digital Age
We live in age where we are always connected online. This also adds complexities balancing our lives. Setting boundaries isn't just limited to people. Being always connected to the web is also taxing on our mental health.
How Am I performing Self-Care ?
Learning self-care has been something I've been working on a lot this year. It has been something I neglected for many, many years. It has helped me be more aligned and be more connected with myself. Finding a self-care routine isn't exactly a straight line to follow. I'm still finding ways to better improve my routine. It's been important to adjust as I go because it's a continious learning process. Some things worked a few months ago and now it isn't working as well before.
- Setting boundaries with myself and people
- Actually find time for myself and appreciate alone time.
- Actually address insecurities
- Excercise such as running or biking.
- Disconnect from digital devices as needed
- Picking up new hobbies such as hacky sack.
I invite you to write a post on self-care.
Here are some prompts to help you get started or to build off of this post.
- What type of self-care routines do partake in?
- What are some hard realizations once you started to take care of yourself?
- How do you incorporate self-care in difficult times?
- What has been your journey in reaching self-care and your routines.
- How does your self-care routine differ during the week vs the weekend/going on holiday?
- How do you take care of yourself.
- Do you check in with yourself too make sure your self-care routine is keeping up with your needs?
I will create a roundup post on the 1 November 2023 on all the responses I recieve. I will post on Indieweb News
Send me your responses via:
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to host a future monthly IndieWeb Carnival, please check out the details on the IndieWeb Wiki.
This post has been syndicated to IndieWeb News.